Desensitization
Desensitization

Desensitization is a method to help patients with an allergy to tolerate exposure to a specific allergen. Desensitization to a certain medication involves giving the medication in slowly increasing amounts, starting with small doses, and ending with the full dose required by your child. The medication is given in the same format (oral or intravenous) but starts more slowly and the process takes much longer. Not all reactions to medications are able to be desensitized. These will have to be evaluated by your doctor. The whole process may take several hours. Your child will also be required to be observed for a period of time after the procedure. This may take 1-2 hours. In some cases, your doctor may recommend admission for overnight observation for the safety of your child.

 
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

Please enter your name and email address to join our mailing list.

First Name
Last Name
Email Address
close